Monday, November 30, 2009

Evaluating GAME Plan Progress

In the implementation of my “GAME plan” (Cennamo, Ertmer and Ross, 2009), I have had a great deal of success so far. Some of this success may be attributed directly to actions I have taken, such as seeking approval and permission to load necessary software onto student computers for use in facilitating and inspiring student learning and creativity (NETS-T, 2009) through the use of collaborative tools for reflection. Specifically, we are using the screencasting software, Jing!, to share and comment on ideas in our class. In my other goal, networking with colleagues, I have found success in the use of this blog. Since we are all posting on a weekly basis in this course, I have been more focused on its use as a tool rather than thinking of it simply as another application assignment.

So far, I have learned that in effecting the changes needed to succeed, I will need to shift my role from teacher to facilitator. I plan to accomplish this through more problem-based learning projects, as my classes are starting to do now. The main issue of problem I have with this is that students need to have more freedom to express creativity than I have chosen to afford them in the past. Ertmer (2009) suggests that we start these types of projects with less weight on them at first and gradually shift the focus to longer and more in-depth issues which are relevant to the students and to the class.

Adjusting and monitoring are two qualities which make good teachers great. As part of my own adjustment, I plan to start using this (or another) blog to communicate with staff in my district and the surrounding areas. In this way, I can also assist my students’ creativity by soliciting ideas from other teachers and students. This, hopefully, will heighten the students’ awareness of our subject matter and inspire them to place this information higher in their “quality world” (Glasser, 1998).

-Stephen St. Georges

References:
Cennamo, K., Ross, J., & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

Glasser, W. (1998). Choice theory: A new psychology of personal freedom. New York: Harper and Row.

Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2009). Program eight. Spotlight on technology: Problem-based learning, part 1 [Motion picture]. Integrating technology across the content areas. Baltimore: Ertmer, P.

National Education Standards for Teachers (NETS-T) retrieved from http://www.iste.org/Content/NavigationMenu/NETS/ForTeachers/2008Standards/NETS_T_Standards_Final.pdf on November 18, 2009.

2 comments:

  1. It is important for students to reflect not only on themselves but on each other as peers. I am unfamiliar with the screencasting software you mentioned, Jing! and would be interested in knowing more about it. I use a blog with my high school classes and am beginning to implement one in the middle school classes as well. Students like being able to critique one another and ask questions in this manner. It is less threatening to them than asking openly in class. They also can think through what they want to say better than when trying to answer quickly in the classroom. I believe the same is true for us as teachers. Your blog with staff affords you that opportunity. Keep up the good work!
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephen,

    I am also trying to learn to be more of a facilitator. It is difficult letting go of the control enough to let the students ruly be creative. I am learning that if I give them the basics of what I am looking for I truly enjoy what they are able to achieve creatively using the material they need to. They become more eager to learn in my class. I have started doing this with formative assignments first and am looking to try it with a major project for a summative grade soon. Hopefully I will be able to bring this in with the problem based learning unit. The work you are doing is great! Keep it up.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete